Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yummy Southwestern Eggrolls

Alrighty.... the DAT is done and what better way to celebrate such a happy thing than to make something spicy and deep-fried? We've had the southwestern egg rolls at both Chili's and The Cheesecake Factory and they were both delicious. So I looked up a copycat recipe and we first tried them at our Super Bowl party. They were great so I decided to make them again. They are stinkin' delicious, so here you go.....

So here's what you'll need:
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1.5 cups (about 6 oz) Monterey Jack cheese ( I used Pepper Jack cuz I'm that kinda guy)
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced scallions
  • 1/4 cup canned diced jalapenos
  • 1/4 cup frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
  • 1/2 cup canned black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2/3 cup frozen corn
  • 2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro (the recipe calls for parsley, but come on.... corn, black beans.... and PARSLEY??)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 healthy dash of cayenne
  • Small flour tortillas (10-12)
Okay, first we gotta cook the chicken. I like to pound it relatively thin and grill it on a grill pan with oil, salt, and pepper. Alternatively, you could bake it, poach it, saute it, barbecue it, use leftover cooked chicken, precooked chicken, rotisserie chicken, etc. Point is, you need two cooked chicken breasts.

Next, dice your bell pepper, scallions, cilantro and chicken (once cooled). Grate the cheese, and measure out the beans, corn, jalapenos and spinach.


Start the cooking by throwing the bell pepper and scallions in a pan over medium-high heat with some oil and cook a couple minutes until tender.


Next, toss the remaining ingredients (except the cheese and tortillas) into the pan and cook about five additional minutes until the spinach is all broken up and evenly distributed.


Once the spinach is distributed and the mixture is warmed through, transfer the mixture to a bowl. Throw the cheese on top and mix it in until all melted, gooey and delicious-looking.


Now it's time to assemble.... Wrap 12 tortillas in a slightly damp cloth/paper towel and warm in the microwave. Spoon some of the mixture into the middle of a tortilla. Wrap the roll TIGHTLY and secure with a toothpick.



There should be enough filling for 10-12 rolls depending on how much filling you put into one tortilla.

Freezing the eggrolls makes the frying really easy. Frozen tortillas will hold their shape better in the oil than room temperature tortillas. So once you have them all rolled up, place them into some sort of dish and pop it into the freezer for at least 4 hours. Overnight is great.



While the egg rolls are in the freezer, you can make a delicious Avocado Ranch dipping sauce.


What you need for the Avocado Ranch sauce:

  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 2 Tbs milk
  • 3.5 tsp white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar... so shoot me.)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • Dash dried dill weed
  • Dash black pepper
  • Dash garlic powder
  • Dash cayenne
  • Leftover jalapenos from eggroll filling
I added the cayenne and jalapenos to the recipe because I thought the sauce should be spicy. I also put some lime juice in to make it a little more tangy.


Begin by mashing the avocado in a bowl.


Now this next step is quite complicated, so pay attention: Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir until well-mixed.


The cayenne and jalapenos weren't cutting it for me, so I threw in some hot pepper sauce. So that's it for the dipping sauce. Garnish with some diced fresh tomatoes and cilantro and keep in the refrigerator.


Alright..... remember these?


Well, it's time to get cookin'.

Mmmmmmmm.... I'm loving this picture. Sinfully delicioso. Anyway, heat up a good amount of oil to 375 degrees and CAREFULLY drop 5 or 6 rolls into the hot oil. Cook for 5-6 minutes until deep golden-brown and crispy. Remove with tongs to a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining rolls. When cool enough to handle, remove the toothpicks. (If the above picture scares you, disgusts you, or fills you with guilt, I'm sure that drizzling or spraying the rolls with some oil and placing them in a hot oven would work just fine).


Yummm......


Slice each roll on a diagonal and arrange on a plate with the dipping sauce.


And enjoy!!!.......

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm...seriously my favorite thing that you make. So delicious! Plus, these pictures are beautiful (besides the last two). Jeff, you are beautiful.

MC Lewis said...

Oh my gosh, so can I just say how hungry I just got!!! By the way is that the Rachel Ray knife that you were using? I want to get her pots and pans one day!!

Jayvaz said...

Haha.

You said dill weed.

Carol Swift said...

Aaahhh, so this is the food blog. Yum!

Jeff said...

It is indeed a Rachel Ray knife... My mom got them for us as a wedding gift. I love 'em.

Shayla said...

Those are some gorgeous egg rolls Chef Jeff! They look like a nightmare to make though. I think when I'm rich I'll just hire you to come cook for me every night. Well done. Love the step by step pictures. Keep posting!

Unknown said...

I love these things! I like the new look! ;)

Jill Manis said...

So those pictures were too good to not go out and make them the very next day. Jack thought they were absolutely amazing, and it could be my pregnancy that I still can't find anything I absolutely love, but still found them very good. I found them surprisingly easy to make, love the lime in sauce, and we used green chiles instead of jalepenos. I already had them and to be honest, I've never used jalepenos in my cooking and just the word makes me a little scared, but we did add a bit of hot sauce to the dipping sauce to add some extra kick. Thanks for the post!

Ron said...

looks like a great Christmas Eve dinner party food item........

Unknown said...

Ooh, what a great idea!

Post a Comment