Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July Tradition

My Grandma has always made this Patriotic JELL-O cake for our Fourth of July celebrations, and every time she does I remember how delicious it is! The JELL-O in the cake makes it so moist! Yum yum yum.
I stole this picture from someone else's blog. She makes this cake too so I guess you could check out her recipe, if you wanted to, here.
Anyway, I have never actually seen my Grandma make the cake, but this recipe looks about right. I am going to try it myself (Jeff was studying for the DAT so he stayed at home) because Jeff hasn't ever tried this cake! Crazy! But I will let you know if the recipe turns out well, or if it totally stinks.
Patriotic Jello Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 package strawberry JELL-O
1 package fresh strawberries, cut in halves
1 package fresh or frozen blueberries
1 container of Cool Whip

Bake the white cake according to the directions on the box. Remove the cake from the oven, and let cool for about 5-10 minutes. Use a fork to make several holes in the cake, so that the liquid JELL-O will seep into the cake.

Prepare the strawberry JELL-O according to the directions on the package. Once you have finished cooking the JELL-O on the stove, drizzle the liquid evenly across the white cake.

Chill the cake in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight. Before serving, cover the cake with a layer of whipped toping, such as Cool Whip or whipped cream. To make the cake look like an American flag, place the blueberries in a square, in the upper left hand corner of the cake. Then place the halved strawberries in several horizontal rows across the cake, to represent the stripes of the flag.

Dig in and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment