Friday, March 27, 2009

what's better than actually cooking? watching other people do it, of course

So I hope you all have the amazing opportunity of having the food network channel. Jeff and I LOVE watching cooking shows. He has already made some amazing recipes after watching some of his favorite shows: minestrone soup, grilled cheese sandwiches with bacon and apple, and just last night made delicious breaded chicken and caesar salad. Mmm we will definitely be putting those recipes on the blog.

But for now, I just want to comment on a few of my favorite shows from this wonderful, delicious channel. First and foremost this man is my hero:


He makes cooking so interesting, and his food, although complicated, always looks pretty good. I confess that I haven't tried anything that he has made yet, but one of these days I will get around to making his pop-overs.

Mmm, don't they just look perfect to spread a little butter and jam on--and have with some hot chocolate for breakfast? Or maybe serve with a hot bowl of soup for these cold, SPRING days in Provo? I'll let you know how it goes.

Secondly, this show is just plain amazing. LOVE IT!!

And, luckily enough for me, they have full episodes of Ace of Cakes available on foodnetwork.com--so I can watch it whenever I want! Yahoo!

I also really like Ellie Krieger, who is a nutritionist on the foodnetwork. We have actually had a lot of success with any of her recipes that we have tried, and they are usually quite good for you too! And, probably best of all, they are usually really easy to make. I'm definitely a fan.


Sometimes she can be kind of annoying when she talks, or how she is always smiling, but I think her food definitely makes up for it.

Okay, well it isn't all fun food and dandy...I am afraid we must look at the dark side of foodnetwork as well. One of the scariest people to grace TV =


Duh duh duh....Paula Deen. She is likely to kill you in one of three ways:
1. she will drive you insane with her ridiculous accent
2. if you make any of her recipes you will die from all of the butter that instantly clogs your arteries
3. she will eat you

But is she the worst? Oh no, no it gets much more dreadful, dreary, and downright horrendous. Meet the Barefoot Contessa.


Honestly, I cannot stand to watch more than one full minute of this show. Firstly, she is so pretentiously snobby. "Oh, today we will be making blahblahblah so that we can share it with my designer friends who are coming from the gallery today. We will then dine on this lovely meal in my terrace garden, where the fresh herbs will compliment the taste of my red wine very nicely... (meant to be said with a snobbishly disgusting tone)" Secondly, her food really doesn't even look that good.

ANYWAY, just thought that I would share my thoughts about cooking shows, on the cooking blog. What do you guys think? Do you have any favorite shows? Are you a religious watcher like us? Seen any good recipes lately?

3 comments:

Jill Manis said...

So I don't have much to add, but Ace of Cakes is definitely a favorite of ours too, I never stop being amazed! and I wasn't sure when I first started watching Good Eats. I felt like he wanted to be an actor but couldn't make it so decided to carry his love of acting to his knowledge of food. I have come to appreciate his style though and his recipes do look delicious. Jack's favorite part is the camera in the microwave :) Hit the nail on the head with Paula Deen and the Barefoot Contessa!

Gina Rochelle said...

Alas, we don't have the Food Network Channel but if we ever do we'll know what to watch. In the meantime I'll just turn to you guys for the highlights!

Ron said...

Sorry guys. I'm got caught up in blog stalking and had to comment on yours. Love it. I agree with it all; Paula Dean - gag. I want to know where Alton Brown gets his cool shirts. If Norm shows up here, "Hi, BFF." :)

http://soswift2.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment